Civitas Vetus Ielsae, Jelsa

Art, History & Culture
Jelsa ID: HV-TR-123


Civitas Vetus Ielsae, Jelsa

The old city of Jelsa was situated on the peninsula Gradina and the defence wall, that was built on the western side of the peninsula and extended to the coves of Mina and Bočić, is partially still preserved. The former wall was 172 m long and had an enclosed wall, 800 metres in length. Today, on the location of the former Augustine monastery, of which only a church with a bell tower from 1605 is preserved, lies the present cemetery in Jelsa.